Thursday, April 5, 2007

"Eloisa and Abelard" by Pope Alexander...er, I mean Alexander Pope

http://www.monadnock.net/poems/eloisa.html

If you're a fan of the movie, make sure you read this poem. The verse that Mary recites to her boss and not-so-secret crush is a part of this poem, and the title of the movie is driven from it as well.

How happy is the blameless vessle's lot!
The world Forgotten by the world forgot.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.

I will admit, I have not yet read the entire poem (it's a long one, you'll see, once you go to the link), but this verse alone is powerful and teeming with meaning. For me, it causes me to question my definition of a full life. If I could choose to erase bits of my life from my memory to recreate my own reality, would it lead to a life more fullfilling? It would no doubt be easier. If you were Clementine or Joel, would you have erased those painful memories of each other, and disregard true reality as unimportant, unecessary? Reconstruction of "reality" is themed in so many other forms of literature and film...

* Consider the stellar film, the Matrix; if you were Neo, would you choose the Red Pill or the Blue Pill?

* Read Aristotle's Cave Analogy; who lives the fuller life? Those who are shown neutural puppet shadows on the cave wall, and know nothing about the world outside, no matter how much more real, cheery or dreary, or those who have travelled outside the cave's perameters and discovered the sun, the moon, creatures, as well as death, cold and hatred?

* Review Genesis in the Bible. Were Adam and Eve's lives more fulfilling, more MEANINGFUL before or after eating from the Tree of Knowledge, and gaining understanding of the world as a whole, and the existence of Good and Evil? (If you are interested in this topic, you may wish to explore the Gnostic viewpoint about the Fortunate Fall.

Tell me YOUR thoughts. Is naivity truly bliss?

No comments: